Friday 20 February 2009

Welcome to my blog







Welcome to my blog...........

I am an artist, having worked in animated television commercials for my years, in london UK. My last venture in to commercial animation was as a texture artist on the 3D feature film 'the Tale of Desperaux',released xmas 2008 in cinemas. But when I started in the industry there were no computers used in production, even though graphic designers had been using early macs for a few years. so for TV commercials, and features, all the artwork was hand drawn. This applies to the animation, with 12 drawings as an average used to illustrate movement of a character over a second of screen time. The characters were hand painted and traced on to clear acetate,and the background artwork painted in watercolour, gouache or even coloured paper. All the artwork was shot on a special 35mm movie camera, called a rostrum camera.
Computers eventually came along during the mid 1990's.
I started using photoshop, combined with a wacom drawing tablet, and as time went by learnt Flash, Lightwave 3D ,AfterEffects ,Painter and a few other programes as the industry changed ot being computer based.
I did used to paint with watercolours and acrylics but painting on the computer was well suited for the new commercial world. Over a period of time I will be post some of my artwork here, and my thoughts on each piece.
My website is here.........www.martindaveyillustration.co.uk/


No comments:

Post a Comment